Monday, April 16, 2007

Media: Neutral Media

Is there such a thing as "neutral media"? I ask this question because on the calls, I heard several times people say, in reference to the media they use, "but it doesn't affect me." I also heard Ron and I say the same things about what we do. Interestingly, we all said this about media sources that were anything but neutral. For me, it was about my mystery novels, which, as tame as they are, are nonetheless about murder and mayhem. I don’t think anyone of us would consider murder neutral. Just because we are not aware of the effect, doesn't mean it isn't affecting us. Even if the content truly is neutral (my example was watching golf), it stimulates thinking that is far from neutral. I get excited and frustrated right along with the golfers. Of course, our stimulated thinking can also be positive, but it isn’t neutral. Think about it in your own life...