Monday, December 18, 2006

Practice: Shifting the Shower

I realized about two years ago that I used my time showering in the morning to think about my fears and get myself adrenalized for the day. I found I actually felt better on days when I didn’t shower until later in the day since I wasn’t “setting” myself up for fear and negativity.

I decided to change what I did with my shower time. (I am amazed at how long it took me to shift the behavior, the thoughts were so ingrained!) I now use the time to do mindful meditation and choose positive thoughts of inspiration, setting myself up for a day of love and compassion. It also creates eagerness for all of the wonderful things I anticipate occurring in my life (rather worrying about the terrible things that could happen.) What a change in my day!